Monday, November 30, 2015

Get Thee to the (Art) Marketplace!

 
I find deadlines and art challenges to be invigorating. At the same time, I have learned not to overdo the adrenaline rush. Last year I about did myself in by developing double vision when I took on a big volunteer art project read that post here). For the last few years I have enjoyed participating in a friend's Holiday sale and it is upcoming again next weekend (see invite at end of post). So for the last few weeks I have flitted between making collage magnets, cards and a few 5 x 7" paper and cloth sewn collages. This is the first year I have tried using quotes on the magnets. I love to collect quotations and turned to my commonplace notebooks to see which ones fit on the tiny magnets. I repurpose laminate samples as the substrata, thanks to my cabinetmaker husband.

It was easier to sell arts and crafts back in the 1970s when I was an art student. Rarely were there any fees charged for participating in a street fair or farmer's market. I sold pottery, silver jewelry and crocheted items during my SUNY-Plattsburgh college years. Nowadays, I do sell some art online or by consignment in local shops, but I need to make more of an effort to get my art out there into the world. I may try Etsy next year, plus I should hunt down more opportunities locally. The competition is fierce. And I sure like making the stuff more than figuring out how to sell it. One bonus of being a "maker" -- I have gifts for friends and family readily available.

 
Here is one of the sewn collages featuring a lovely Indian water bearer.

 
And here is a Mexican Loteria card collage featuring La Sirena.


Come one, come all to our sale in the Meyerland area of Houston!

No comments: