Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Favorite Books, 2014

 

 
 
It has been awhile since I have written a book-related post, yet all along of course I have been reading. In fact it is unthinkable for me to be without a book and has been since childhood! So here are ten books that were among the best I read during 2014:
 
And the Dark Sacred Night by Julia Glass. Pantheon, 2014. One man's midlife quest to find out who his father is becomes a tangled tale of family secrets that succeeds tremendously at illuminating the inner lives of all its characters.
 
The Confessions of Frances Godwin by Robert Hellenga. Bloomsbury, 2014. Retired Latin teacher Frances Godwin gets herself into a heap of trouble. End result: a fictional"spiritual autobiography" unlike anything I have ever read before. Because of its Catholic themes and characters, it reminded me of the works of Jon Hassler.
 
The House at the End of Hope Street by Meena van Praag. Pamela Dorman Books, 2013. Very odd things happen in this enchanting literary genre-bender set in Cambridge, England. And yet every dispirited woman who takes refuge at Hope House somehow magically finds just exactly what she needs to get on with her life.
 
The Mockingbird Next Door: Life with Harper Lee by Marja Mills. Penguin, 2014. As a portrait not only of the elusive Nelle Harper Lee, author of To Kill A Mockingbird, and her sister Alice, as well as their beloved hometown of Monroeville, Alabama, surely this down-to-earth memoir is a must-read for all Harper Lee fans.
 
Nora Webster by Colm Toibin. Scribner, 2014.  Plucky and extremely private Nora Webster finds widowhood in her small Irish town to be challenging. One turn-around comes when she begins to indulge in her love of music. Beautifully written.
 
The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert. Viking, 2013.  A good old-fashioned novel about a spinster botanist named Alma Whittaker, her love life and ambitions. For me this was a truly quirky read, full of fascinating glimpses into history and the botanical sciences. I was glad to see Gilbert more than prove her mettle as a literary novelist.
 
Small Blessings by Martha Woodruff. St. Martin's Press, 2014. When Shakespeare professor Tom Putnam suddenly becomes a widower, he finds a soulmate in Rose, a gypsy of sorts and new manager of the college bookstore. Complications ensue, including the appearance of a small boy named Henry who may or may not be Tom's son from the one dalliance he allowed himself during the long martyrdom of his former marriage.
 
Some Luck by Jane Smiley. Knopf, 2014. Smiley's novel, the first in an intended series of three, introduces a  sprawling Iowan farm family, the Langdons. What an all-American family saga, chock full of fascinating stories, unusual points-of-view and colorful characters. I can hardly wait for the next installment.
 
The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. Algonquin, 2014. What's not to love when a somewhat curmudgeonly widower/bookstore owner adopts a toddler named Maya who is left in his store and reaps the healing powers of love? I enjoyed every moment of this quirky tale, its Alice Island, Massachusetts setting and sometimes whimsical characters.
 
Under the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan. Ballantine, 2014. What little I knew of Robert Louis Stevenson before this novel, never mind his wife Fanny, but now I stand corrected and much entertained. This novel succeeds as a love story, an adventure story and top notch historical fiction.
 
For longer reviews of these titles, check out my Goodreads page. It has been a pleasure to look back on my year in books. Happy holidays and all the best in books and life come 2015!

2 comments:

Books on the Table said...

I can see we have very similar taste in books! I absolutely loved And the Dark Sacred Night and felt it didn't get the acclaim/attention it deserved. And I'm a longtime bookseller, so of course I loved A.J. Fikry -- but I think anyone would enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry as well! Since To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite novel, I am tempted to read the book about Harper Lee...I always find more to read in lists like this, so thanks for posting!