Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Chestnut Street by Maeve Binchy

 
Dear Maeve Binchy's books have always tickled me. Maybe it's my Irish blood, but I feel so at home in her fictional universe. Binchy's characters are often resilient. They find help from unexpected quarters or find a new ways of looking at a problem that makes everything better. Yet once in awhile, they stay stuck even when given opportunities to move on. So all in all, though her point of view tends towards the rosy, there is enough realism for me to believe in her plots.

Chestnut Street is a collection of short stories portraying people who live on said street in Dublin. Even though there is not much overlap between the stories, Binchy's compassionate way with her characters kept me eagerly turning the pages. There was no disconnect between the stories, not an easy trick to pull off. Some might find her work overly idealistic or simplistic, but not me. Heartwarming, this posthumous work does her proud. Nice to see a forward note from Gordon Snell, her husband. He tells us that these stories were written over many decades, making their easy fit with each other even more amazing to me. Bless her heart, Maeve Binchy is a writer to treasure.         

No comments: