Monday, January 20, 2014

"LoveToken" Collages

 
I began a new series of collages a few months ago. I call them Love Token collages and most of them feature Hershey's Kisses strips. On the back of each laminated postcard-sized collage is a secondary collage featuring a quote or short poem. I had fun combing the internet and borrowing poetry books from Harris County Public Library to find the right quotations. It brought out the librarian in me!  (Books turned out to be much better for browsing than the web....) Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Zelda Fitzgerald, Judy Garland, Christopher Marlowe and Robert Herrick are some of the folks whose words I chose.

 
The beautiful gal on this card comes from one of the Dover Clip Art series, The Art of Perfume.
 
 
I love the Fifties era millinery model in this composition.

 
Although some of these are selling as Valentines, I did not limit myself to the usual red and pink color scheme. I guess I'd like to think they are all-purpose keepsake collages. In this one, I also used colored pencils, paint and tissue paper.
 

I forget which Dover clip art series this Victorian clip art image of a woman with a fan comes from, but I adore all the old engravings and love to use them in my compositions.
 
These collages are available for purchase from Lucia's Garden here in Houston.
 
PS: What I'm reading: The Death of Santini by Pat Conroy.
Best books read recently: The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert and The All-Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion by Fanny Flagg.
For my humble comments on these books, I refer you to my Goodreads page.
 

No comments: