Friday, November 23, 2012

My "Altar Art for Labyrinth Lovers" Collage Series



I've been in holiday production mode for the last two weeks, getting ready for an arts and crafts sale next weekend at the home of a fellow crafter, as well as restocking the shelves at shops where I consign my collage prints.

Because I decided to redesign my "Altar Art for Labyrinth Lovers" collage series to include text, some computer manipulation was involved. My skills with Photoshop Elements need improvement and I was not up to the task. Luckily I was able to call on a friend to help me get the final design hammered down. Then I began the joyful wok of mixing and matching paper elements to complement the various labyrinths. My printer broke down during this period, so I was forced to rely on the public library and Office Depot to get some of my bits and pieces printed. To make a long story short, today I finished the last batch of a few dozen collages and will take some over to Lucia's Garden tomorrow.

I decided I needed to analyze the steps involved in making the labyrinth collages. These small art pieces are only 4 x 4", made to prop up on a shelf or spiritual altar. But I know now that at least thirteen steps go into the process, yikes! Sorry, but I can't resist subjecting you to my process list. Writing down the many steps made me realize how complex the process really is. Not that I'm complaining; I love doing them, but there is more to it than meets the eye. As for cost analysis, I'll leave that for another day. Affording my art supply habit is no joke.

1. Acquire papers, matboard, paint, ink, glue, acrylic medium and cellophane bags.
2. Cut matboard and text squares with paper cutter.
3. Print and cut out labyrinths of different sizes, color as needed.
4. Assemble collage (my favorite part, of course!).
5. Press collages in wax paper between pages of a heavy book overnight.
6. Clean off any glue smears using vinegar and water solution.
7. Scan images into computer; edit as needed (more for my records than for actual selling).
8. Seal collages with protective acrylic coating.
9. Photocopy packaging inserts.
10. Sign collage backs.
11. Attach collages to inserts with sticky squares.
12. Seal in a cellophane bag.
13. Sell or consign!

So, today there is peace in my art room. All my little labyrinths are ready to go. This series has been selling pretty well without text, but I'm hoping some people may appreciate the educational/inspirational intent of the words which explain the labyrinth process: Release your concerns on entering the labyrinth, Receive, Renew, then Return. This form of walking meditation either works for you or it doesn't. There is one way in and one way out. At the center seekers often find peace. It always works for me. For more information about labyrinths, see the Veriditas website. Veriditas is having a Bidding for Good auction right now, and I am delighted to have donated some of my artwork to the cause.

photos: Altar Art series packaged and ready to go; AA #90 collage by Keddy Ann Outlaw



No comments: