Thursday, October 11, 2012

Unitarian Universalist Chalice Collages





I've had it in mind to try doing some UU Chalice collages for some time (in fact, that Post-it note just about lost its stickiness on my bulletin board...). An upcoming auction at First UU Church of Houston gave me the impetus to start this new series. They are presented above, in descending order of creation.  "Holy UU Blazes" is my favorite. The flaming chalice is a primary symbol of the Unitarian Universalist faith. All involved some use of paint and/or colored pencil, so that makes them mixed media collages. I have done spiritual collages in the past, ranging in subjects from Buddhism to labyrinths and the Virgin Mary, but I am glad to have finally addressed my own faith. All the collages are small, most about 5" square. Three of them will be for sale at the annual Auction on Saturday, November 3, 2012, at First Church, 5200 Fannin Street, Houston.

Images: UU Chalice 4 (Holy UU Blazes), UU Chalice 3, UU Chalice 2, UU Chalice 1: Collage series by Keddy Ann Outlaw

No comments: