Saturday, June 16, 2012

Quiltesque Collage

Lots of "quiltesque" motifs have turned up in my collage work recently. I find collage more instantly gratifying than quilting, though I do love both art forms. Using fabric scans and ruffle-like or stichery embellishments in collage compositions comes naturally.


"Pilgrimage" is a mixed media collage on wood, and is on display at the Transcendence show at the Houston Jung Center through July 17, 2012. I used colored telephone wire as an interconnecting device, giving this composition some three dimensionality.


"Holding Still at the Center" was completed in 2011. Being in some ways balanced and centered, in my mind it has some mandala qualities, but also uses obvious quilting elements along with vintage advertising cuts.


"Quiltscape 4", completed a month or so ago, uses mostly fabric elements with some decorative papers. These kinds of collages are relaxing for me in their very sweetness, though many would not consider them as high art. But you know what? That doesn't matter to me most of the time.


"The Quilter" ties in with my old Dollscape series. I used a small scrapbook punch to make the tiny squares. Sometimes it is tricky getting such elements balanced and straight, just like in quilting.

And so it goes. I don't have as much time as I might like to learn new collage techniques, but these types of collages have become a staple in my life. I intend to learn more about mixed media, including acrylic painting, encaustics and digital collage. For the time being, cut and paste will have to do. I find myself flying to Long Island quite often to visit my 93 year-old mother. Perhaps if I could make progress on learning Photoshop, I will be able to do collage on my laptop when I travel. It has been very rewarding to reconnect with collage during retirement. I think I made my first collage in junior high school, and on and off since then, but at this point I am more involved than ever. I gave a collage workshop at a Unitarian Universalist women's conference in Clear Lake this past winter, and enjoyed sharing this "quiltesque" take on collage with them.

1 comment:

Stitchwhiz said...

Hello Keddy Ann, I was there at your collage workshop and enjoyed it very much. Maybe you would like to repeat at the next SWUUW conference in Corpus Christi next year? As a quilter I know what you mean about fiber art. Is it art or is it craft? The great debate rages on. I found your blog after jotting down a note about it that you had mentioned at the workshop. Love the quiltesque collages! Keep up the good work ☺ Mary K