Friday, April 27, 2012

Printmaking with PrintMatters via the Steamroller Method




On April 15th, I participated in the PrintMatters Rockin' Rollin' Steamroller Print event. End result: my 30 x 36" "Get Thee to the Labyrinth" print. I carved it on MDF board using hand tools. Some artists used electric Dremel tools. I had done some printmaking in college, but not much since then, so it was a real learning experience.

My husband helped with the geometry involved in getting the classic 11 circuit Chartres labyrinth drawn onto the board, and then I went to work. If I had it to do over again, I might have done some things differently. Honestly, I think it looks a little amateurish, but I guess I'll have to live with it. A steamroller was used as the printing press in this second annual event. We attended last year's steamroller event and right then and there, I resolved to get involved. There was plenty to do ferrying the prints upstairs to hang in the beer hall at St. Arnold's Brewery (an interesting location). The day was hot and humid, but we got the job done. In June we will have an exhibit at Gallery M Squared. I hope eventually to donate copies of this print to labyrinth organizations.

No comments: