Saturday, August 6, 2011

Costa Rica!

















Eight days in Costa Rica gave my camera a real workout! I wish Blogger would let me write about each photo directly underneath it, but no luck there...(if anyone knows a way to get around this limitation, I'd love to hear about it). Although most of my photos were family snapshots, here are a few others in homage to a beautiful country. My favorite things about Costa Rica were: the incredible tropical foliage, the wildlife, the people, the food and art. One by one from the top, here are the photo descriptions:

1. A Pacific Ocean sunset as seen from the deck of El Avion restaurant, Manual Antonio.

2. My camera batteries gave up on me right after this shot of a monkey climbing onto our tour boat during a mangrove swamp tour. They were white-faced capuchin monkeys, and they scampered back and forth from our boat to the shore when the tour guide offered them coconut meat. One even scampered over my head!

3. A ubiquitous Coca-Cola sign.

4. Rather dreamy foliage as seen through a van window during light rain. (This is the rainy season in Costa Rica. How I wish we could divert some of that rain here to Houston.)

5. My encounter with a toucan at La Paz Waterfall Gardens.

6. Sarongs for sale at market in Manual Antonio. My sisters-in-law and I bought plenty of those!

7. Heliconia plants in the rainforest.

8. Tree canopy -- so lacy and green. Someone told me this is called the monkey tail tree, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Eco-tourism is certainly a big part of the Costa Rican economy. At times I felt there were a few too many tourists everywhere we went, even though the rainy season is said to be the slow season. Being a tourist is always a little uncomfortable for me, but all the Costa Rican people (known as Ticos) were so warm and welcoming, I had to get over that. Going green is a natural for Costa Rica. They have plenty of beauty to preserve. So much of their food is locally grown: bananas, pineapple, coconut, coffee, etc. As a librarian, I was impressed to learn they had a 96% literacy rate. Many people speak both Spanish and English. Their national brand is "Pura Vida", the pure life, and is also used colloquially meaning full of life, the good life, going great, etc. Heres to la pura vida!

photos by KAO

2 comments:

Jeffrey Shallit said...

You can edit the text of your blog entry and then cut and paste the HTML-goodies for each photo to rearrange them...

LoneStarLibrarian said...

Hmmmm, not sure I get that. What I need to do is play with it when I am not so intent on completing a post. Thanks, Jeff!