Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Room: a Novel by Emma Donohue


Room: a Novel (Little, Brown & Co., 2010) by Emma Donoghue is simply unforgettable. Room, like Door, Bed, Duvet, and other nouns, are always capitalized words in this purposely claustrophobic novel. Room is five year-old Jack's whole universe. He and his mother are held captive in a 11 x 11 foot bunker. Indeed, the Room is the place Jack was born. His mother was kidnapped from college seven years ago. When mean "Old Nick" visits his imprisoned sex slave, Jack hides in the wardrobe. His mother has poured all her love, attention and knowledge into her son. He can read. He has an impressive, quirky vocabulary. Together they recycle everything that comes their way into art or other inventions.

I won't say much more because of the spoiler factor. How much longer must mother and son live like this? Will they escape? Read it and see. Jack is a boy wonder you just have to meet. I think Room will be popular on the book discussion group circuit because it brings up so many horrifying and sadly relevant issues. Because one of my friends is very involved in campaigns against human trafficking and modern slavery, I have become much more aware of the issue. Please see the Not for Sale: End Human Trafficking/Re-abolish Slavery site for further information.

3 comments:

Sue Ann Gleason said...

Wow, even that much has given me the chills. I think I'd have to be in a pretty good frame of mind to read this one.

It sounds really intriguing. . .

Thank you!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I couldn't put it down, had to finish the story as fast as I could!

LoneStarLibrarian said...

Thanks for reading my blog... I'm a big fan of yours!