Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Art Chairs in the Making


The Furniture Bank of Houston has given local artists the opportunity to get creative this summer. All are invited to paint a chair for their big bash, the Show Your Heart Furniture, Arts and Decor Expo, to be held August 28 and 29, 2010 at the George R. Brown Convention Center. The art chairs will be auctioned off to benefit their main cause of supplying furniture to families and individuals living in poverty, "making empty houses homes". Click here for an application.

Visiting their facility to pick out a chair was like poking around in granny's attic. One of my friends took home a rocker and a child's chair. I chose a rather chunky, almost colonial-looking chair because it had plenty of wood surface to paint. My concept is that of a crazy quilt. I post this photo of my a small section of my first start with some hesitation. There's plenty of revision going on as I test my design and methodology. There may be further embellishments of the surface if I really get obsessive and try to add some calico-like patterns to my solid colors.

As often is the case with my creative process, I tend to jump into things without much prior knowledge, planning or experience. I like to wing it, but often end up hustling to catch up on technique. Right now I am enjoying playing with the color palette, creating old timey, cozy colors that would be found in an antique quilt. Finding the right brushes and paint consistency is also part of the learning curve. Since I am also doing some interior house painting this summer, my favorite old clothes will be getting a bit more paint-spattered than ever. I am grateful for this opportunity to create and and donate to a good cause. Painting a chair feels like play to me. As Picasso said, "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just read your NY Botanical Gardens blog re: Emily Dickinson. I loved every minute of it.
Thank you.