Monday, December 21, 2009

Lunations: a Labyrinth poem









Scallops of stone
known as lunations:
something extra,
these 113 teeth
of the Labyrinth
frilling the sacred circle,
a mandala of stone
where I walk
to mark one more solstice.

Their nomenclature pleases me.
Lunations, regular as footsteps,
echo a chant of inhalation
and exhalation, and
although their hypnotic markings
are forgotten in the stillness
of the center, always a place of bliss,
later as I wind out, their
sacred geometry again
comes into view, holding
sure this ritual space.

My journeys here
are never done.

- Keddy Ann Outlaw

For information on the spiritual practice of walking Labyrinths, see the Veriditas website.

photos: Labyrinth at the Prayer Garden adjacent to the Chapel of St. Basil, University of St. Thomas, Houston, TX

2 comments:

Don Wentworth said...

Very nice, KAO.

LoneStarLibrarian said...

Thanks so much, Don. I am honored you continue to read SOL!