Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ten Reasons I Like Being a Librarian

1. Access to books, constantly!

2. Helping people find what they need is rewarding.

3. There has been a lot of bending and stretching and moving around, so being a public librarian helps me keep fit.

4. My colleagues are interesting people.

5. Appreciation from customers is wonderful. I especially like helping senior citizens. Our little library sits right next door to a Senior Center, so I've been privileged to enjoy much contact with this most appreciative age group.

6. I get to go to book group on the job! (Yes, I do need to lead it and do research on each title to be discussed, but that's fun, too.)

7. Working for the library system has been a stable work environment, especially as compared to private industry.

8. Working with titles, authors, subjects sharpens the memory.

9. I have learned a lot about so many things, including technology. I even learned to blog on the job!

10. After thirty years with HCPL, I'll be able to retire. That's in about two years or so, knock on wood. Then I'll have more time for art, writing, gardening, etc. And it will become my turn to become an appreciative library customer.

No comments: