Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sound/Digital Rights: Exercise 25

1. Burn a copy of your chosen song to CD.
It was time to learn how to download music from HCPL's Digital Media catalog. I chose the Romantic Dinner Classical Companion. First, users must download the Overdrive Media software. Then after that, it is pretty simple to point and click through the Windows Media Player towards that magic moment when you "RIP" the music to a CD. So now I should go home and light some candles for the dinner table....

2. Write a blog post discussing how easy or difficult the process was for you. Do you still use CDs? Never mind CDs, I still use cassette tapes... And CDs! I had some assistance from staff to burn the CD. For an upcoming road trip, I plan to burn some more CDs of music and audiobooks. I hope to become an old pro at this before the CD era comes to pass.

3. In the same blog post, discuss your thoughts about sharing music online. Do you think music and musicians benefit more from strict copyright protections online or free and open sharing? I think talent should be rewarded. No one can afford to give away all the products of their labor. I don't know how much an artist gets of the 99 cents I might pay for a song, but I bet most of it goes elsewhere. Open sharing is appreciated when feasible, but without some financial reward, how much music would come to light?

For the legal lowdown on copying music, see this flyer produced for college students, as linked to by our Next Generation lesson plan.

P.S. 2-23-08: I furthered my acquaintance with Download.com. I noodled around looking for free music to download. My vocabulary was enriched encountering the names for certain sub-genres of Indie Rock, such as Dream Pop, Jangle Pop and Shoe Gaze, to name a few. And I began to appreciate just why performers give away music on the internet. If you like the "free" music enough, you'd probably consider buying additonal tunes!

Photo by KAO: from Shattered Blue series

No comments: