Friday, January 11, 2008

Too Many Good Books

There's no such thing as too many good books. One day years ago, I observed a little girl carefully selecting picture books from our shelves. Her mother was somewhere else in the library. By the time Mom came to check on her daughter, the pile of books had assumed major proportions.

"Honey, you've got too many books," the mother said.

"But Mommy, I want too many books!" the little girl replied.

That's my philosophy, too. If I don't have at least a few books on reserve as well as a stack of books waiting to be read, I get nervous. Keeping up with what's good and what's new is important to me. So I like receiving newsletters from all kinds of book-related sources. Here are some of them:

BookLetters from Harris County Public Library - Bestsellers, Lifestyles, Mysteries, Books on the Air: these are just a few of the categories available. See also the Our Space: Books & People @ HCPL newsletter, which I enjoy contributing to six times a year.

Writer's Almanac - Provided daily by Garrison Keillor and NPR. This one tunes up your awareness of important literary and historical figures.

Barnes and Noble - I like their "Best of the Book Clubs" suggestions. Also provided: fiction, nonfiction, bestsellers, etc.

Shelf Awareness - An insider's report on the bookseller's trade, including all sorts of interviews, reviews and other features about new books and old favorites.

Tattered Cover Book Store - Book recommendations from the legendary independent book store in Denver.

Blue Willow Bookshop - This independent book store here in Houston sends out lively newsletters featuring their monthly favorites and programs.

Quotation:
I cannot live without books. – Thomas Jefferson

1 comment:

Jeffrey Shallit said...

Yeah, that's how I feel, too. But we just built an addition and already my study is almost completely filled with books! (They were in storage.) Some of them were Louise's, since she can't read any more.