Tuesday, November 13, 2007

YouTube: Women in Art - Exercise 20

I was delighted to find a short film about 500 Years of Female Portraits in Western Art on YouTube today. (For this exercise, we were asked to embed a movie inside a blog post. Well, that did not work even with help from Network Services, so the alternative was using the link above.)

I clicked on About this Video to see the list of artists the film is based on (which is where I got the 1920 Alphonse Mucha painting, "The Artist" above). Included are works by Leonardo Da Vinci, Raphael, Rubens and Picasso, but also there are many artists I never heard of before: Pierre Gobert, Elizabeth Louise Vigee-Le Brun (one of the few women painters included), and Eugene de Biaas. When I took art history in college, we spent a lot of time studying "art in the dark" slide shows in order to memorize who did what and when. It almost killed my love of fine art.

What I'd like to know but see no information on, is this filmmaker's process of making the portrait paintings come alive (also known as "morphing"). Is it cool or creepy? I think what I live most about the film is the way it links generations of women together. I also appreciate the soundtrack: Bach's Sarabande from Suite for Solo Cello No. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007 performed by Yo-Yo Ma. Other films by eggman913 from St. Louis create similar effects for Van Gogh, Picasso and Women in Film. He has more than 12,000 comments on this film, and 139,657 channel views. Such is the power of social networking a la YouTube, the ultimate amateur film palace.

1 comment:

rick russo said...

it's interesting how people approach art is so many different ways. having attended these same 'art in the dark' classes my reaction was just the opposite - i would say that they instilled a love of art in me. my background was small town with little artistic culture and my schooling largely avoided art - my own background was largely scientistic and my primary interest was chemistry but during the cultural revolutions of the late 60's i found myself pushed away from that area and toward art. i think that these dry lessons in art history gave me a link with my science oriented thinking patterns - i could see how artists learned from each other and were constantly experimenting with new media or new content or new materials or new ways of doing art etc. i had thought of something that was inate, inspired etc and not something that i had the 'talent' to do but seeing modern art and how it developed i could approach art (visual art) as something that i could actually do and relate to. i still think of art as a combination of knowledge and intuition and am still mostly interested in a theoretical approach to art - i like to emphasize the knowledge aspect in my own art