Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Digital Media - Exercise 22



I found Cupboard Love: A Dictionary of Culinary Curiosities on the Wowio ebooks site. Their slogan is "Free Books, Free Minds". Maybe because it is near Thanksgiving and my mind is dancing with recipes, I gravitated towards this foodie form of reading. Some day I may download it for air travel perusal. The site seemed to have a lot of golden oldies by Chaucer, Wollstonecraft and Thomas More. Newer fiction included several Vonnegut titles.

I also investigated LibriVox. Their slogan is "Acoustical Liberation of Books in the Public Domain". I noticed Little Men but not Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (I grew up reading Alcott's books over and over). They had Emma by Jane Austen, which the library's book group will reading soon. Still, I'd rather read Emma than listen to it. When I walk for exercise, I listen to NPR. On long car trips, I do take along audiobooks. One thing I appreciate about LibriVox is their pathfinder approach to presenting the titles. On the page where I might have downloaded Emma, there were also helpful links to Wikipedia and the Gutenberg text, etc.

HCPL has a very nice Digital Media Catalog. I discovered that the Pulitzer Prize winning play, Night Mother by Marsha Norman is available to burn to CD. If only I could find some spare time to get into downloading.....maybe in 3 years when I retire! Sorting by popularity, I learned that Patricia Cornwell, James Patterson and Janet Evanovich are among the most popular authors in digital format @ HCPL. People are surprised when you tell them that digital books have waiting lists. Libraries usually do not own unlimited rights. We purchase or acquire most digital titles copy by copy, just as we do "real" books.

No comments: