Monday, October 1, 2007

RSS Feeds - Exercise 8


Seattle Neon

I've had a Bloglines newsreader account for some time now, but whenever I check on it, the backlog gives me information overload. So many great sites, so many great blogs. Who has time? And here I am, adding to the blogosphere.... The trick is winnowing down to what's essential, both at home and at work.

One disadvantage to being online so much at work is that I don't feel like getting on the computer when I get home. From time to time, I observe variations on what I call "Thoreau days". In the purest version, I stay home, don't shop and don't drive, although I might ride my bike. In lesser versions, I stay off the computer and do simple chores at home. It's a form of detoxing from an overstimulating world. I love using the internet for all kinds of reasons, but my brain and body complain if I spend too much time in front of a computer screen.

For completion of Exercise 8, I've added RSS feeds for Word of the Day and the HCPL Our Space: Books and People @ HCPL newsletter.

What works for me is as far as becoming a better Reader's Advisory librarian is being on listservs such as Fiction_L .

I also enjoy getting daily emails from The Writer's Almanac . Garrison Keillor keeps me up to date on all sorts of writerly factoids.

Quotation:
My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library. -Peter Golkin

No comments: