Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Pondering Technology - Exercise 17

We've been asked to explore the subject of technology. I searched high and low all over the internet looking at definitions of technology. I learned it can be any set of tools, including of course - software. The broadest definitions include simple spear heads, the wheel and fire. In other words, technology is as old as men and women. Technology can be thought of as the application of scientific advances to benefit humankind. Animals create tools, too; chimps and other primates use improvisational implements to forage for food.

Technology attempts to control many things; perhaps too many? Dystopian novels such as Brave New World, 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 paint critical pictures of an inhumane, technologically advanced modern world. Might nature be the antithesis of technology? Often nature proves uncontrollable. Farmers do exercise some control over the land they till, the products they grow. But they are always challenged by the forces of nature. Farmers deserve more respect than our society grants them.

My life is better for technology. Being able to learn these "23 Things" is giving me more tools for communication than I ever dreamed possible. The internet is downright magical to me.

We were also asked to visit our colleagues' blogs and leave comments. I looked at several and left comments on the blogs I most enjoyed. Two of them are BF77008 and Dinosaur Tracks, written by my fellow HCPL librarians.

2 comments:

Fourdogmom said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog too. I went to the site where you got your clock and got a kiwi clock for my blog. Thanks! I worked at your branch during the remodel and had a nice time. Hope you all are enjoying your new digs.
fdm

Magnolia Forrest said...

Great post, and a real pleasure to read.