Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Personal Virtual Libraries - Exercise 11





Yesterday I had time to revisit Library Thing. Sometime in 2006, I got excited about this site, joined and entered a short list of books I own. (Then I promptly forgot about it.) Library Thing makes it simple for users to catalog their own library collections. Among the books I listed were titles I contributed poems or short stories to, such as At Our Core: Women Writing About Power edited by Sandra Martz, and Texas Short Stories II edited by Billy Bob Hill.

As suggested in Exercise 11, I added a feed to my Library Thing (LT) catalog to the sidebar area of this blog. I am not entirely comfortable linking to my LT account from this blog. I consider the LT list a work in progress, just a smattering from my personal bookshelves. I am not sure why anyone else needs to look at it, but in the interest of completing the "23 Things", here it is.

Library Thing has many purposes. One of the fun things to look at is how many other readers have listed the same titles as you. It's interesting when no one else owns a book you've listed. As of today, two of mine in that category are Afoot in a Field of Men by Pat LittleDog and Music from a Blue Well by Torborg Nedreaas. Then you find other titles such as The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri which are widely owned. Also, once you add your titles to the virtual collective, other users may invite you to join their special interest groups based on the interests portrayed by your collection.

I think Library Thing has a persona function -- it becomes a portrait of who you are, or at least who you 'd like to think you are......

All Consuming is another virtual shelf site for books, movies, music and more.

Quotation:
Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house. – Henry Ward Beecher

No comments: