Saturday, September 22, 2007

Grateful - Exercises 2, 3 and 4

What has being a public librarian taught me?

I have learned to listen.
I have learned to put others first.
I have improved my manners!
I have greatly increased my memory skills.
I feel in touch with my "village" in that I get to see trends unfold as my customers present their needs to me.
I am honored by their confidence.
I am happy when I get to pass along needed information, just the right book or movie.

What a privilege it is to work @ HCPL, where we are encouraged to grow to our full potential.

We were asked to share something on this post about internet safety. I am used to some public exposure due to being a book reviewer. I also went through a period of my life where I wrote a lot of poems and stories that were published in various print media, and some of them have made their way online, so I guess I've had to get used to that amount of exposure. I have not gotten into social networking; perhaps because at "midlife", I can barely keep up with friends and fmaily as is, and feel no need for new online friends.

We were also asked to consider our learning styles. Most of all, I am a hands-on learner, and somewhat autodidactic. I have to admit I often jump into things without really studying all the instructions; I just want to get going! But when something doesn't come naturally, oh how I appreciate talented helping hands.

This past summer I began to teach small computer classes here at the library. I tell you, I have got some new friends for life now that I have taught some of the seniors how to cut and paste and/or do email!

No comments: